These are notes from a talk by Gary Kuhlmann, Keith Warburg, Bobby Lacey and Ashley Williams titled “Building a DIY Student Portal from Scratch” during the HighEdWeb 2015. The Valdosta State University
- had trouble keeping track of students
- disjointed systems for students
- Too many passwords across campus.
- hard to find services.
- biggest target was at-risk students; didn’t have a way to help them along except through their professors.
- A way for students could access resources and services through one system.
- One login, then could jump off to other services.
- Used MS’s login page, then used some magic to also log into their new portal.
- Created “Ads” to help expose available services.
Web Developer at Benedictine University near Chicago