These are notes from a talk by Ryan Christie titled “Light up the Web! An Intro to Building Apps with Firebase and Angular” during the HighEdWeb 2015. Illinois State University
What is Firebase?
- No need for a backend (Firebase is a service)
- No problems
- Everything is stored in it’s own document
- Useful for real time data
- Flat data structure
- Easy startup
- Everything stored in JSON
- Built-in API
- Data editing UI
How do you make a great choice?
- Forget technology, what are you trying to accomplish?
- Don’t solve problems or make decisions with only the information you already know.
- The web changes fast. Learn to change with it.
How to store location data
- What I knew: edit static JSON file, SQL Data base
- Aware of: NoSQL, MongoDB, Redis
- What I discovered: Firebase
How will people edit the data?
- What I knew: JSON, AJAX and jQuery, CodeIgniter, Angular
- What I was aware of: Ember, Backbone, Laravel
- What I discovered: AngularFire
Web Developer at Benedictine University near Chicago