These are notes from a talk by Jim Muir and Scott Mascio titled “Building a Modern Course Catalog Search” during the HighEdWeb 2015. The Ohio State University
- Prioritize User Experience
- Open Source Full-text search and analytics engine
- Schema Free
- Developer Frenziedly API
- High Availability
- NodeJS: REST API
- AngularJS: Front-End
- Modeled after Amazon (side filters) and Google (single search box)
- Weekly meet ups
- Version Control - Git
- Gitlab Issues
- Pull Requests and Code Reviews
- Accessibility: Bootstrap (sr-only classes) + ngAria (AngularJS library)
- Student Feedback
- Very positive response
- 20 person user groups
- Used the survey to iterate and improve.
- Other Uses
- Recruitment Tools (could show prospects the courses they offered)
- Each campus wants their own unique search.
- Relevance or Course Number?
- Why isn’t my course first?
- Let the data speak - use analytics, not your opinion.
- Not yet launched
Web Developer at Benedictine University near Chicago