These are notes from a talk by Joshua Plameri titled “A Fresh Perspective on Responsive Web Design” during the HighEdWeb 2015. Josh works at Stony Brook university.
- Our goal in life is to server others.
- Reach visitors where they’re at.
- Seamless experience across devices.
- Mobile first: forces you to think about the smallest use case first. Helps with content priority and content flow.
- To serve our users better, presenting them with the content they need, when they need it, where they need it.
- RRWD: Responsible
- Keep it Real, Content is real
- Tips, Tricks
- Images: max-width: 100%; height: auto; Quality: 60%, 100-150K max; Image optimizer (kraken.io) or media queries to server different images.
- Video: Let a third party do it!
- BAckground Video, preload=none; Network Information API to adjust qualty based on network information, on scroll down stop loading video
- Carousel: Rethink usage
- Accordions: useful
- In-page navigation: smooth scroll instead of jumping to anchors
- RWD + CMS: CMS templates can help move people along
- Documentation is important to prtect the investment.
Web Developer at Benedictine University near Chicago