These are notes from a talk by Jim Kittle titled “Data “Silo” Smack Down: Enter the EIP” during the HighEdWeb 2015. Ohio State University.
- What is SMAC: Social Mobile, Analytics, Cloud; data sources from lots of sources.
Issues on the old way
- Data structure changes = downstream impact
- Direct load to data layer
- No insight into usage / frequency
- Less secure
- Less efficient
- Many consumers of data, many security process, lots of data
Enter the Enterprise Integration Platform
- Already worked out how to integrate between the different systems.
- WSO2 is the open source tool (there are several options)
Data Services Server
- Access to all data stores
- Turn a SQL Query into an API
- Eliminated the need for direct DB Access
Enterprise Service Bus
- Contral hub for all web services
- Control access to the resource level
- Throttle Services
- XML to JSON and JSON to XML
- SOAP to REST and back
- Build composite services.
API Store / Gateway
- Storefront for Developers
- Key / Token Generation
- Increases visibility into available services
- Makes the organization more agile
Web Developer at Benedictine University near Chicago