Whelp, tomorrow is Election Day folks!
I have to say, there are not many valid excuses for not voting, unless you were unable to absentee vote or something.
BUT please vote informed. As I am sure you have been hearing EVERYWHERE, there is a lot at stake in this election, no matter which side of the political spectrum you land yourself.
I get that you’re upset with the negative campaign ads that are everywhere, disaffected by the excessive spending on these races and confused by the sheer quantity of candidates, offices and proposed policies and ideas. I get that it’s been a rough several years for many, facing plummeting home prices, cut back at work and possibly even job loss, not to mention so much frickin’ road construction.
Everyone loves to stay away, to say that the system is broken and therefore it doesn’t matter if you vote or not, your voice won’t be heard.
But don’t let that keep you home. The reason the system is broken is because you, the voter, are disaffected, under-informed and under-enthused to get involved. You cannot sit down and complain from your couch that the system is broken. Help fix it, stand up. Be informed.
Here are some resources for you sit down with today/tonight to help you know what’s going on and where the candidates stand. Spend an hour or so and walk into the booth tomorrow with your head held high. Don’t wake up November 3rd and feel left behind. Every vote matters, these races are so close.
Note: These resources are fairly localized to Illinois races, analytics tells me that’s where most of my visitors are from Apologies to everyone else. Check out your local papers, they are sure to have similar information.
- Questionnaires and Endorsements – Start here, great way to see where candidates stand on specific issues
- Illinois voters to decide recall power – October 31, 2010 By Ray Long, Tribune reporter
- Editorial Board Endorsement Interviews – Video Interviews
Chicago Sun-Times Resources:
- Questionnaires – Start here, great way to see where candidates stand on specific issues
- Endorsements and other articles – Not only endorsements, but other issues and related articles
Daily Herald Resources:
- Endorsements – Well, it’s just their picks, wish they backed them up with a ‘why’ in an easy-to-find place
- Articles a plenty – Lots of articles, seems to let you sort by a particular race
Information Junky Resources:
- Real Clear Politics – More information than the mind can comfortably conceive
I hope that gives you some help and helps lead to some informed votes.
BTW – Don’t feel like you have to stick to one party, choose the candidate that represents your opinions not your registered party. And don’t be afraid to vote for a third party candidate, even if they don’t have much of a hope of winning, get out and support them if they reflect your politics.
Stand up, be counted.
Today’s title is not from a song. But I’m digging Sleeping At Last’s Yearbook EP project.
PS – I have some really exciting things going on, I’ll update you all soon!